- General Description
- This arc fusion splicer is used primarily for polarization maintaining optical fibers. If you want to fuse two fibers and do not care about
polarization, use the other fusion splicer found in the lab as it is much easier to use. This fusion splicer has stages that move in the x, y, z, and theta
- Power On
- To power on the fusion splicer first flip the power switch on the main body, the small television, and the controller as shown below.
- Once when the main body and the controller are both powered, you will hear a trio of beeps.
- Placing the Fibers
- Selecting the Splice Mode
- The splice mode you select will depend on the type of fiber you want to splice.
- P1 PANDA fiber
- P2 PANDA fiber
- P3 PM fiber (not PANDA)
- SM Single mode fiber
- MM Multimode fiber
- Discharge Conditions
- Display the splicing conditions and scroll through them by pressing the CONDITION key. The change a value type the value with the numeric key pad and then press ENT.
- If the value does not appear then it is out of range.
- ARCPWR - Discharge current in units of bits. The range is 0-31. Discharge current = 10 + .3*(ARCPWR) mA
- ARCTIME - Discharge time. The range is 0-65000 ms
- FORWARD - The time the left fiber moves during splicing. This is called stuffing. The range is 0-1000 ms.
- PREFUSE - The preheating time before stuffing. The range is 0-1000 ms.
- GAP - Distance between the fiber ends before splicing in units of lines. 1 line = two microns. The range is 6-32 lines.
- ECF - Eccentricity correction function. Used in core axis aligning. Range is 0.00-0.99
- ANGLE - Rotational angle after theta axis aligning. The range is 0-360 degrees.
- PMALIN - In P3 mode, determines if the angle should be a max or min.
- Optional conditions:
- ECF - Enables eccentricity correction function
- DATA - Displays axis offset data on monitor
- LITARC - A short perfuse arc is created to eliminate dust on the fiber ends
- PAUSE1 - Pauses after gap setting. Press SET to restart
- PAUSE2 - Pauses after aligning press SET or ARC to resume
- EFTCHK - Measures and evaluates the cleaves of both fibers before proceeding
- ARCCOUNT- Number of arcs since the count was reset
- The controller is used to control the splicer. These are the functions available:
- MODE key Choose between SM, MM, PM fibers
- Condition key Displays the fusing conditions
- Motor select key Toggles between the motors
- X/Y key Toggles view between the X and Y cameras
- Reset key Resets the motors to their "home" conditions. If pressed again, the motors will fully rotate and reset.
- ARC key This triggers the arc
- Set Key This begins automatic gap setting
- Motor direction key Drives the motors in a given direction
Manual Motor Operation
Over Run Indications
|X (on X field)
||Right fiber fall (XF)
||Right fiber rise (XR)
|Y (on Y field)
||Left fiber fall (YF)
||Left fiber rise (YR)
||Left fiber back (ZLR)
||Left fiber forward (ZLF)
||Right fiber back (ZRR)
||Right fiber forward (ZRF)
||Left fiber rotation back (PLR)
||Left fiber rotation forward (PLF)
||Right fiber rotation back (PRR)
||Right fiber rotation forward (PRF)
||Focus far (FAR)
||Focus near (NEAR)
Comments or suggestions? Submit them here.
|XF, XR, YF, YR
||The is too much dust in the v-groove, the fiber is detached from the v-groove, the rubber jacket is not removed.
||Clean the v-groove, reposition the fiber, or recleave.
|FOCUS NEAR, FOCUS FAR, FIELD UP, FIELD DOWN
||The fiber is not properly set, the fiber is too dusty, or the automatic focus is not working properly.
||Replace the fiber, clean the fibers, or press reset.
||The fiber is too short or the fiber is detached from the v-groove.
||Recleave the fiber and reposition.
||The fiber cannot move back any farther.
||Reposition the fiber.
|PLF, PLR, PRF, PRR
||Theta axis moved too far over.
||Reposition the fibers and try again.